I'm Coming Back To You
As Julie London once sang " I'm coming back to you"! I have no clue as to who actually reads this blog but at least I'm stoked that I'm back after a long overdue two year break. Anyway I'll just keep posting stuff whenever I feel like it.
Last night I watched "Earth Mama" directed by Savanah Leaf. It's her debut feature and is based on the short film "The Heart Still Hums" that she and actress Taylor Russell wrote and directed. I was really surprised to see Doechii (known as a Rapper to me up to that point) playing the best friend of the movies protagonist, Gia. It's a very raw and moving experience to see naturalistic performances from the whole cast and at the forefront of it is Tia Nomore also known as a rapper in the Bay Area where big parts of the movie were shot. She infuses her character with an unwavering hope and has a heartfelt commitment to her two children who are in foster care as well as the baby she is expecting over the course of the film. From the first to the last frame of this mesmerizing study about black motherhood it is deeply felt that it was written and directed by a black woman. The love and care is felt in its direction, the cinematography and the careful handling of the subject matter. In some ways to me it does pay tribute to my own mom but also every other black mother and the ones who came before them. It shows the bodies of black women who in the course of history as well as in movie history have been known to either be hidden or abused. But the simple beauty of certain scenes do create an opportunity to heal from past and present abuse and disrespect. It is a work of simplicity even though complex feelings and relationships are examined. It is a movie that immerses you fully into the black community living in the Bay Area with a realism that cannot be played or recreated.
I leave you with a link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-Jhu938vY
And Julie London's "I'm Coming Back To You": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TThoEV7-y5g

Comments
Post a Comment