flower children

I recently reread the book "Just Kids" by Patti Smith. It is one of my all time favorites I would say. I love the way she talks about the relationship between the artist and his muse and I also love the way she thinks about art in general. Her description of living as young and penniless artists in the New York of the 70's seems utterly personal to me even though I was born in the 90's. The matter of detail and poetry in this book gets me every time. She made me feel as if I was walking the streets of NYC in the 70's. And she also inspired me to write the following poem. It is basically a lyrical description of a picture taken at Woodstock. I hope it takes you on a journey.


๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ


I wish I'd been born in the 70's

there's a longing inside me

like I'm burning for this lost era

peace, love and happiness

it was the age of freedom

it seemed to me like the age of art

they could express themselves freely

naked people playing in the sea

music was the epitome

art meant something

it wasn't made for money

it was made for community and healing

but there was also a dark side

the famous pic

burnt into our brains

needles scattered on the ground

litter laying on the floor

next to lifeless bodies

it was supposed to be a celebration of music

forever remembered in our history books

but it had cost lives

the flower children will be remembered forever

cause their spirits were shining brightly

they dreamt of a utopia

of universal music transcending barriers

as hendrix once said

the guitar god

gone to soon

but their memories live on

in their music

the vibrations are still high

and maybe one day

we will also be able to see their utopia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

anti-racist resources & support of the BLACK LIVES MATTER MOVEMENT

breaking the format #BLACKLIVESMATTER

moved but not moving