the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
As part of my personal distraction program during the quarantine and also because I'm a huge film nerd I've decided something. I'm going to watch all the movies I always wanted to see but never had the time to. So one movie on my never-ending list was " The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." At first I was surprised to see that Jim Carrey played the main character in a movie categorized as romantical thriller. My most recent memory of Carrey involved his role as Stanley Ipkiss in "The Mask". Go watch this movie if you want to laugh your ass off!
Alright, back to the actual subject of this post. As soon as the movie started and I saw the first scene with Carrey all my doubts were wiped away. His Character Joe is devastatingly depressed but in the course of the movie he is able to feel joy again because he falls in love with Clementine, who is played by the amazing Kate Winslet. I don't want to spoil much but the bottom line of the movie is it doesn't matter how much you fight in the end you'll always find the one you love.
One of my favorite scenes is the one in which Clementine dismantles the concept of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. She tells Joe " Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.” Also her hair color changes in the course of the movie from blue to green to tangerine.
If you like a romantic movie that involves amateur mind-erasing and leaves you with a giant mind fuck then go on watch it. Also the chemistry between Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet is breathtaking!
To conclude this post I'll leave you with the quote of Alexander Pope that inspired the whole movie and a link if you want to learn more about the Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl
Alright, back to the actual subject of this post. As soon as the movie started and I saw the first scene with Carrey all my doubts were wiped away. His Character Joe is devastatingly depressed but in the course of the movie he is able to feel joy again because he falls in love with Clementine, who is played by the amazing Kate Winslet. I don't want to spoil much but the bottom line of the movie is it doesn't matter how much you fight in the end you'll always find the one you love.
One of my favorite scenes is the one in which Clementine dismantles the concept of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. She tells Joe " Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.” Also her hair color changes in the course of the movie from blue to green to tangerine.
If you like a romantic movie that involves amateur mind-erasing and leaves you with a giant mind fuck then go on watch it. Also the chemistry between Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet is breathtaking!
To conclude this post I'll leave you with the quote of Alexander Pope that inspired the whole movie and a link if you want to learn more about the Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

Comments
Post a Comment